MH Legislation Clinical Advisor
- Mental Health Legislation
- Band 7
- Fixed term: 12 months (or Secondment opportunity)
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Becklin Centre
- £41,659 - £47,672 Per Annum pro rata
- 01/02/2023 23:59
All references should be directed through the Employers HR Department wherever possible to comply with NHS Check Standards. Please ensure that a HR address/email is provided for each referee named.
The Mental Health Legislation team are responsible for Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act implementation across all services within the trust. An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join the team, to help support clinical colleagues to understand current and future legislation.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for an individual who is able to demonstrate, to masters level or hold equivalent experience, an in depth understanding of all aspects of mental health legislation and, have experience of undertaking audits and the writing of protocols and procedures. The individual must be a clear communicator who has extensive experience of conveying complex legal concepts concisely and accurately to diverse audiences. It is also essential the individual is a registered AMHP or BIA and willing to convert to an AMCP, as they may be a required to undertake some legal assessments.
Working for our organisation
The Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (LYPFT) is the main provider of Mental Health and Learning Disability services in Leeds. We also provide specialist inpatient services in York and some highly specialised services across the country. As a teaching trust with strong links to local universities, we are a centre of excellence for teaching, research and development.
There are many benefits of working for LYPFT including fantastic employee wellbeing support, 27 - 33 days annual leave, flexible working and remote working arrangements, the NHS Pension Scheme (LYPFT pays 20.6% into your scheme each year), coaching, support and opportunities for career development and training and education support alongside a range of exclusive discounts and payment schemes including for cars, extra leave days and more organisations such as Blue Light Card, Health Service Discounts and NHS Discount Offers.
We also have an incredible bank department, offering variety of roles in nursing, allied health professions, healthcare support worker and administration clerical. Permanent employees are automatically added to bank. Bank-only workers can choose the hours they want to work and will have the opportunity to gain additional experience, keep skills up to date, develop new ones and earn extra money without having to commit to a permanent role. For an informal discussion or more information please contact the team firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder will provide expert, specialist knowledge, support, training and advice to staff regarding the Mental Health Legislation including Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS).
Work in partnership with the Local Authority and other key stakeholders.
Make clear autonomous decisions based on an analysis of complex presenting problems and make judgements about available options.
Develop, plan and support the delivery of training strategy and training sessions and resources for staff and stakeholders on a regular basis to include complex practice and ethical issues in relation to Mental Health Legislation.
- Educated to post degree level in a relevant subject or equivalent level of experience of working at a similar level in a specialist area.
- Qualified Best Interests Assessor (BIA) or Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) certificate and willingness to complete / convert to Approved Mental Capacity Professional (AMCP) role.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to communicate in a manner that recognises difference and ensures that people feel included and their individual communication needs are met.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding to Masters level (or equivalent) the legal and operational framework of the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act.
- Experience of providing complex, specialist multidisciplinary training to a wide range of stakeholders.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Oliver Wyatt
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07535 807999